Here are two fun, healthy recipes to try!
I like the first one because with all the potlucks during the holidays it’s nice to contribute a protein rich, high fiber, high antioxidant dip. I’m not much for creamy or cheese dips. I prefer ones like this.
Black Bean Salsa Dip
- 1-2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can of organic black beans (make sure to drain and rinse them well)
- 1/2 cup fresh salsa
- 2 tbs fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- chili pepper, fresh or dry, to taste
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Put all the ingredients (except salt and pepper) into a food processor. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. This recipes makes about 2 cups.
Here’s a healthy salad you can use as a main meal. It’s full of protein, essential fatty acids, and antioxidants. Quinoa is a gluten-free grain rich in all nine essential amino acids. This recipes makes about 8 servings.
Curried Quinoa Salad
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa (rinse well and drain)
- 1 can (15 ounce) organic black beans (rinse well and drain)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup apricots cut into slivers
- 1 tsp each of garlic and fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 tsp curry paste or 1 tbs curry powder
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- 5 tbs olive oil
- 1-2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper
- 8 large lettuce leaves
- cilantro leaves or sprouts for garnish
Measure water into a saucepan. Add quinoa and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Set quinoa aside to cool.
Prepare your dressing by mixing all the ingredients together.
Once quinoa is cooled, toss the quinoa, beans, onion, red pepper, tomatoes, apricots, and dressing in a large bowl. Chill until you serve it.
Arrange each serving of salad in large lettuce leaves and garnish.
Try these healthy, delicious recipes and let me know what you think!